November 22, 2013

It's floating!?!

Another babysitting story. Sometimes they're just the best.
[I've got others here and here if you want to read those]

-----------------------------------------------

The two big kids were out on a "double date" with Mommy and Daddy so I had AvaBug all to myself. 

We ate dinner + she took forever to finish. Considering she was only in pants + had food all over her "bewey" (belly), it was the appropriate time for a bath.

I sat her in the tub, threw some toys in, + walked back to the kitchen to work on the dinner dishes. I could hear her as she chatted to herself, sang non-recognizable songs, + giggled when she splashed.  She caught my attention very quickly when I heard
"Look, Koe! It's floating!"

I ran back into the bathroom mentally preparing for the worst. Now, thankfully it wasn't a...you know...a "floater", it was a foam toy she was playing with. I mentally wiped the sweat off of my head + sat on the floor (RELEIVED!) to watch her play.





As I was sitting on that bathroom floor I realized it's the little things, the everyday routines that matter. It's the things that sometimes annoy us that can become little outlets God allows us to feel love + joy. If I hadn't stopped washing the dishes + sat next to that bathtub I wouldn't have heard her try + sing songs, watch her splash water + then look at me with "oh no!" written all over her little face. It's all the times of holding + pacing the floor, comforting this sweaty-baby-smelling, trusting little girl after she's woken up crying. It's wiping the "sicle dwip" (popsicle drip) off of her hands + chin. It's snuggling, sharing a fig bar, + watching Dragon Tales. It's the motherhood practice. It's the tickling while she gets in her pjs. It's the "it's cold out here" look on her face when I dry her off after her bath. It's the food flung all over the floor because someone doesn't like to keep food on the plate. It's the fun of knowing I taught her that a cow says "moo!" It's the little voice that asks the same question over + over + over again.

It's hugging her good night and getting a neck-squeeze, a kiss on the cheek, and hearing a soft "I love you, Koe". It makes my heart smile, melt, + skip for joy all at the same time. Then when I lay her down, fix the covers + go to close the door, I say goodnight + I hear the little whispered "goodnight" back. Heart sigh.

It's the best. Families. I'm obsessed with them. I can't wait to have my own. 
But until then, I love dreaming + spending evenings with these kids.

I've started praying for mom-me. That I wouldn't get overwhelmed + miss all these precious moments that like to hide in the mundane. That I'd take the time to smile + laugh with my kids. All.the.time. I want my home to be filled with love, laughter, + peace. I want to be like my mom- always there, quietly listening, diligently working, wisely speaking, patiently teaching, steadfastly loving. She loves me. Even when I blow it...big time. I want to be the mom that loves, protects, laughs, chases, tucks in, + encourages her children. I want my home + family to be filled with messes, laughter, food, love, + tears. I want to be real.

Yeah. Mom-me is going to need these reminders from college-me. One day...one day.
God's mercies are new every morning, for that morning. I'll get there - by God's grace. 

Happy Friday, friends. I hope that little story brought a smile to your face today. Now, go + enjoy the weekend!